Monday 19 January 2015

Some photos of my latest paulownia wood paipo

She's a deceptive one this paipo, the top of the board is a full 2 1/2 inches wider than the bottom. I like the optical illusion effect that the triple stringers (made with Homebase's mysteriously named 'dark hardwood'). Unfortunately I went a little too aggressive when carving out the bottom concave, while stress testing the board I noticed a little crack by the central stringer which I'm pretty sure would snap the board under use. 

I do like the look of this board though and with this in mind I'll be adding it to my fibreglassing list for the spring. A light epoxy lamination should fill the cracks and give it more strength. I'll miss the wood finish but I think the glass finish will be a good look too and should allow for a good many years of battering.





3 comments:

  1. Looks tidy. I have done the sam on concave once or twice! 9.75mm is too thin!! I have adopted your epoxy paipo for winter use and saving wood for the calmer part of the year! A glass finish would be a smart all year round solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did see the damage to the one you last posted on Instagram! Did you manage to fix it alright in the end?

      Delete